3D Printing Part 2: The Build

I build things differently to my husband, and there are big differences in our approach. He’s rather enthusiastic, and gets on with it, while I sit about trying to identify the parts and counting the screws.

It’s probably for the best that he went out, but before he left he brought me tea and toast.

The kit came with a CD containing the manual. Building the frame was pretty straightforward, although the frame was put together with t-nuts which were really tricky. Eventually I realised that it’s best to either put them in and hold them in with a screwdriver while screwing in the part, or set them off very, very loosely – they seem more inclined to turn in the frame that way.
The videos by HackaweekTV on You Tube were really helpful to refer to during the construction, and combined with the manual it was reasonably OK, although I was puzzled about the leftover parts (turned out it was a spare z-axis limit switch).

The wiring was a different kettle of fish. There was a single drawing in the manual. The video started well but didn’t show everything. The Hictop video seemed to be a different model, without the auto-levelling.

I thought it made sense to plug the auto-levelling sensor into the z-axis limit on the mainboard, but the nozzle insisted on alarmingly crashing into the bed. After a few hours, Chris spotted I had mounted the base of the bed the wrong way up – silly mistake but easily sorted.

There were still problems with the height of the nozzle, which I tried to adjust. Eventually I realised I could move the sensor down very, very slightly by moving the mount.

It was just enough and the nozzle cleared the bed when auto-homing.